Having a home away from home is a dream come true for many. A lake home is where precious memories are made each summer, so it’s important to maintain the property to ensure you and your family can enjoy it for many years to come. The annual closing of your seasonal home can feel like a daunting task, but it’s essential to protect your investment from the harsh Wisconsin winters. During your final trip of the season to your lake house, plan to take an entire day to go through this checklist.
- Clean each room, working from one end of the house to the other to ensure you don’t miss any spaces
- Cover mattresses with plastic to protect them while they aren’t being used, and clean and fold all linens before placing them in the linen closet
- Empty and clean the refrigerator and freezer
- Protect any clothing you’re leaving behind
- Close all blinds
- Shut off water
- Adjust the thermostat to 55° to keep the pipes from freezing
- Bring in all outdoor furniture and decor
- Give the lawn one last cut
- Trim back your perennials and pull out the annuals so your flower beds are ready to be gardened in spring
- Empty all garbage cans, and rinse them thoroughly
- Unplug all appliances – big and small
- Lock up! Check all windows, doors, and don’t forget the garage and shed.
Once you’ve made it through this checklist, think of any other property-specific tasks that should be completed. With summer in the rear view mirror, it’s time to wave goodbye to your lake house and start planning for all of the fun in the sun you’ll have next year.