As scary as it is to think about, home break-ins do happen. However, most times they can be prevented. Here are some ways to make your home less of a target for intruders:
• Set your lights on a timer. Whether you’re running late in the office, or have dinner plans, it will look like somebody is home.
• Use motion detectors on your outside lights.
• Take care of your landscape. Keep shrubs and trees trimmed, leaving fewer spaces for intruders to hide in.
• Lock your windows and doors. Double check when you leave for the day and night.
• Use deadbolts. Deadbolts are harder to break.
• Alarm. If you have a home alarm system, make sure you use it! Alarm company decals and signs outside your home can help, too.
• Take your mail. If you are going out of town, schedule a neighbor or friend to pick up your mail. When the mail piles up, it’s a sign that you’re out of town.
• Install new locks. When you purchase a new home, change all locks.
Here are additional tips to help keep intruders out of your home:
• Be aware of your surroundings. If you notice a car that slows down in front of your home, call the police.
• Install dummy/real cameras around your home. It will give an illusion that you are watching your home.
• Use solar lawn lights. They will make your home look brighter.
To help you with your real estate needs, contact a Shorewest Agent today.