Kitchens are becoming more and more the focal point and hub of the home. Therefore when you start planning a remodel, you want to make sure that your choices will stand the test of time. These seven tips will help keep your kitchen timelessly gorgeous and functional.
It’s easy to see fads on Pinterest and other home trends online and want to replicate them, but how much return will you see on that kind of investment? Depending on the choices you make, you could recover as much as 67% of your investment according to a report done by the National Association of REALTORS®. You just have to make the right choices! Check out these seven timeless tips:
1. White is the most popular color. It is a dominant color when it comes to kitchens. You will always find it in the national Kitchen and Bath Association’s annual survey of most popular colors. The reason it continually does so well is that white is a bright cheery color! You are able to dress it up or down and any accent color goes well with it. White is also a bright color that reflects light and makes spaces feel bigger. Are you a cleaning freak? Then white is the color for you! Dirt has no place to hide in a white kitchen. The best reason of all is that white is a standard color for all manufacturers, helping you find any kitchen appliance, counter-top, tile, sinks and more in the same color at a reasonable price.
2. Hardwood flooring is king. It is the kind of flooring that stands up to wear and tear and the high traffic of life bustling through the kitchen. It’s a feature that almost everyone agrees on and registers high on people’s “wish lists.” It is a product that is perfect for open-floor plans, blending seamlessly from room to room. It’s also eco-friendly and can last a life-span of 100 years with refinishing every decade.
3. Shaker style cabinets reign supreme. Cabinets made with clean, simple lines will forever be in style. An American style legacy that has endured because it looks good in any setting. Cabinets are meant to be a back-drop and the Shaker style does just that. No matter what kind of kitchen you are planning, these cabinets will fit right in.
4. Carrara Marble for countertops is the way to go. This is a timeless classic that has been used for a long time. The lacy graining and mix of grey and white look wonderful in any kitchen. This type of marble is readily available which makes it less expensive than other high-end choices. It will last for generations with the proper care. Many people are turned off because it can stain easily. However, if you seal it once or twice a year it will remain as perfect as the day you bought it.
5. Subway tiles for a perfect backsplash. This type of tile dates back the early 1900s when it was used for New York’s first subway tunnel. By definition subway tiles are white, three-inch-by-six-inch rectangles that are popular in American kitchens and bathrooms. The reason that it excels as a backsplash is because it guards against moisture, is super easy to clean and is a classy look. If you are looking to make it easier to clean, a grey or beige grout should do the trick!
6. Convenient layout that makes sense. Ergonomic design simply means that the layout is designed to minimize discomfort. Therefore, the microwave shouldn’t be way above your head and the refrigerator should not be by itself on the opposite wall from everything else. Your kitchen should flow to make sense for cooking and also socializing. Try adding pull-out shelves to bottom cabinets, this should make things easier. Or installing a wall oven at waist-height, this way you won’t be breaking your back with that Thanksgiving turkey.
7. Smart storage sells a kitchen. Unfortunately today’s families store about 47% of their kitchen supplies…outside of the kitchen. This can be explained by the fact that kitchens have evolved from a tucked away room to the center of family life. Utilizing your nooks and crannies wisely will not only help you while you live there, but for the next family too! Primary storage around the fridge and stove are of utmost importance as that is where you will mostly be. Thinking ahead of spaces that can be converted such as an open space that could hold a free-standing desk or an antique to personalize the kitchen. These are important things to consider!
If you are looking to remodel or update your kitchen, take into account these seven tips to ensure that your living space will be timeless. Your future self will thank you for not having to remodel again while you live there and the future family who will inhabit your home will thank you as well! Your Shorewest, REALTOR® will also have an easy time selling your dream kitchen to potential buyers.
Tags: DIY, Home Selling, Home Selling answers, home selling tips, Kitchen, Kitchen Renovation, Kitchen Storage, remodel, renovation, Sellers Market, Selling, shorewest, shorewest family, Shorewest Realtors, Timeless