With warmer weather comes longer days of enjoying the outdoors! Time to check and update certain areas around your home to make sure they are in tip-top shape for the season ahead. These nine ideas won’t break the budget or take too much of your play time.
- 1. Spruce up the yard with some hardy plants. Plants add natural beauty and are helpful to the environment. They can add depth to your patio, porch or yard and can be easy to care for. However they can be expensive if you do not know what you are doing. Hosta’s, lavender, daylily’s, etc. are all great plants to start with if you do not have a green thumb.
- 2. Get your grill up and running BEFORE the first cook out. Nothing will ruin a good barbeque than a grill that is dirty or broken. Make sure to take stock of what you will need to clean, replace or replenish from your grilling station. If your grill looks a bit worse for the wear, you may want to consider a coat of high-temperature grill paint for that fresh out of the store look!
- 3. Give the old lawn furniture a once-over and take stock of what needs to be done. Is a quick scrub down all you need? Or do you need to replace the seat cushions? Do the frames seem sturdy for summer use? Make sure you check it all out so that you are not apologizing to guests later.
- 4. Light it up! Do you have candles that are melted to stubs? Or any bulbs that need replacing? Or do you not have anything available besides a porch light? Consider adding some strings of bulbs or lanterns. Path lighting can create an entirely different mood and safety feature for your guests!
- 5. Time for some bug solutions. Summer weather couldn’t be better…until the bugs come out. Mosquitoes, flies and other critters can dampen your outdoor time. Consider some citronella candles, bug zappers or a mosquito trap, so that your guests don’t have to be hosed down in bug spray every 10 minutes.
- 6. When it’s hot, make sure you can stay cool! Preventative measures of having a technician come out and survey your AC unit can save you a possibly bigger expense later on! You will want to take this measure especially if you have an old or out of warranty unit,.
- 7. How old is the insulation in your home? Not only does this matter in fall, but insulation can make the difference in your utility bill! Taking a peek at how deep it is in your attic could help with some of those expenses.
- 8. Check on your watering hoses and sprinkler systems. After you take your watering hoses out from storage, it is a good time to check for leaks or to see if any of the fittings need replacement. If you have a sprinkler system, make sure to run that and check for broken heads or other issues.
- 9. Can’t keep up with your lawn with a dull mower! It’s time for a tune-up on your lawn mower and have the blades sharpened. While you’re at it, check your weed wacker and chainsaw to make sure they will run smoothly all season long.
These nine easy tips will help your summer go smoothly. Parties will be fun and your summer stress will be gone! Enjoy the outdoors with your beautiful backyard. #ShorewestRealtors #Summer #HomeImprovement