Selling your home in winter offers some great advantages – a less competitive market and buyers who are serious. Buyers can overlook snow piles and barren trees, but they will not want a home that is uninviting. To make sure your home looks its best and sells quickly, follow these tips to create an inviting atmosphere when the outside world is anything but!
- Always make sure to keep your driveway, pathways, patios, decks and steps free from snow or ice. Not only is this a hazard for your potential buyer, but it will look clean and inviting with clean walkways.
- Add a winter wreath to your doorway, or sparkling white lights to your bushes or fence. These small holiday touches will give your house a homey, welcoming feel.
- Add outdoor lights on timers to help potential buyers see the home and help them see where they are going.
- Make sure to add a welcome mat to your front door, this will not only add a touch of warmth but also will help keep buyers from tracking in snow and dirt from the outside!
Moving onto the inside.
- Make sure your heat is turned up to a comfortable temperature for your guests.
- If you have a fireplace, light it! Take the time to talk to your Shorewest, REALTOR® to make sure they will be in the house while it is lit.
- If you have a non-working fireplace, add fake or real logs to add ambiance. Or get creative with candles, greenery or holiday decorations!
- Cozy it up with throws on the backs of your couches, fluffy blankets and quilts on the beds.
- Keep curtains open and lights on. Your house will show better without the shadows or fumbling to find the light switches.
- Want to make it not only look festive but smell festive? Simmer a few cinnamon sticks, oranges and cloves over the stove-top prior to your open house or showing.
- Clean your windows inside and out. They should sparkle and shine!
- Decorate for the holidays without going overboard. A few elegant items will uplift your décor, not overpower it.
Staging your home during the winter months is so important! Creating a space that your potential buyers can see themselves living in is imperative for your home to be sold. For any questions or suggestions about your own home, ask your Shorewest, REALTOR®! #ShorewestRealtors #WinterStaging #SellingMyHome