At some point, every driver in Wisconsin has to deal with rainy weather. But many don’t know what to do, so they just drive as they normally would. However, with slick roads, flooded streets and reduced visibility, this can be a recipe for disaster. In any weather, Shorewest Insurance is here for you! Our insurance agents will review your current auto insurance policies to ensure the right coverage plan for you in rain or sunshine. Follow these simple tips for safer rainy day travels:
- Stay visible. Turn on your headlights so you can see — and be seen — more easily.
- Be patient. Give yourself more time to get where you’re going, and give people more room. Increase your following distance two to three times.
- Expect slippery conditions. Rain often combines with oil and grease buildup to create slick roadways. Not to mention you can hydroplane — meaning your tires are riding on water instead of pavement — at speeds of as little as 35 mph. If it happens, slow down, gently apply your brakes and keep steering straight ahead.
- Check your car’s systems. How are your wipers? Do your blades need to be replaced? What about your defroster? Driving in the rain is hard enough; don’t do it with fogged-up windows, too.
- Inspect your tires. Are they inflated properly? Do you have enough tread? Put an upside-down penny into the tread. If you can see Lincoln’s entire head, you probably need new tires.
- Never drive in flooded areas. In a flood, it won’t take much water to sweep you away, believe it or not — just 12 inches for a smaller car or 24 inches for almost any vehicle, according to the National Weather Service, which advises, “turn around, don’t drown.”
- Get – or stay – off the road. When conditions are really bad, pull over and take a break. Or, if you can, just stay home. You’ll probably be happier to stay out of the weather, anyway! And you’re certainly likely to be safer.
With a little extra care, you can help keep your car on the road and your rainy day blues to a minimum even while traveling in wet conditions. And, as always, if something does go wrong, we’re here to help guide you through it. Shorewest Insurance is here to ensure the right auto coverage plan for you. Shorewest Insurance Associates can also help you combine your home and auto insurance plans into one easily-manageable package! Contact us today at 262.797.6297 or request an insurance quote here!