Port Washington, WI Real Estate
Information for the community of Port Washington
Port Washington Real Estate
Port Washington Homes for Sale
Port Washington, Wisconsin is located on the shore of Lake Michigan and 30-miles north of Milwaukee. Port Washington provides a historic setting, having the largest collection of pre-Civil War buildings in Wisconsin. With a breathtaking view of the downtown area, the city offers an atmosphere where residents can walk around and enjoy the sites. Placed in Ozaukee County, Port Washington is a city that residents feel at home.
Port Washington real estate offers an array of homes for sale. Houses on the market include three-bedroom homes with large city lots, renovated Ranches, gorgeous custom-built homes and Cape Cods with views of Lake Michigan.
Port Washington offers plenty of activities for the whole family to enjoy. There are self-guided walking tours, brewery tours, local specialty shops and fine dining. A farmers market is also an event that attracts people from around the area every Saturday during the summer season. The city is also near biking and hiking trails and nature centers for those interested in wildlife.
The city organizes festivals every year to celebrate its heritage. Port Fish Day celebrates the city’s fishing heritage and was established in 1964. Sparked by a parade, “Fish Day” hosts the “World’s Largest One-Day Outdoor Fish Fry” for the community to enjoy. The Maritime Heritage Festival is celebrated annually by the city. Maritime provides tall ship tours, food, artisans and live entertainment. Other festivals include the Lion’s Fest & Fish Derby and Port Washington Pirate Festival that residents can enjoy during the summer months.
There is also a charter fishing fleet for those who enjoy activities on the water. A beach north of the marina is open for swimmers during the summer. The area provides an indoor District Aquatic Center that offers programs during the winter months.
The first settler, Wooster Harrison arrived to the Port Washington area in 1835. Harrison and the first pioneers embraced the beautiful landscape that is shaped like the letter “U”. Harrison left the area and returned in 1843 and began to construct permanent improvements to the land. The area saw development of homes and communities and was incorporated in 1882.